Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, “Profiteor”! This will be the location where I will post updates, photos, and newsletters before, during, and after my year of service in the United Kingdom through the Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM) of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), so please check in periodically to receive the most recent news.

Now, some of you may be wondering about the name of my blog (I hope you find it an intriguing title). “Profiteor” (pronounced pro-fee-tay-oar) is Latin for three different English verbs: I confess, I profess, and I praise, and these three meanings are the reason I chose “Profiteor” as the title instead of something a little more obvious. During my next year in the United Kingdom, I will be posting periodically entries and photos which will do exactly what the title suggests. I will be confessing my struggles and misconceptions; the emotions and experiences I do not yet know of. I will be professing my triumphs, learning moments, and whatever else might happen in a year. Finally I will be praising God’s glory and love experienced in the most mundane aspects of life, thousands of miles from where I grew up. These are the reasons for the unusual title, and how it will frame my future posts.

Monday, April 13, 2015

One Year

One year ago...

I was desperately fighting advanced stages of senioritis (meaning I didn't want to do my homework).

I had just come back from my last spring break trip, a service week in New York City.

Most of my friends lived in the same building as me.

My niece couldn't roll over.

I worked during Bible study.

I took a bus everywhere.

I could call my family and friends on a whim.

I was learning a new language.

I had never been outside North America.

I received an invitation to serve in the United Kingdom through Young Adults in Global mission.

My grandma, Dorothy, passed away.

I had no idea what I wanted to do after college.

Profile photo one year ago: A reunion with my good high school friend, Joey, during an alternative Spring Break trip to NYC.

Today...

It has almost been a year since I graduated from college.

All youth events are back in full swing after a two week Easter break.

Most of my friends live in another country.

My niece can now walk and talk, including animal noises, "no", "football", and "bubble".

I lead Bible studies.

I walk everywhere.

I have to schedule Skype sessions and hope they don't forget.

I am learning new terms, such as carriageway, aubergine, and tenner, and old terms in a new light, such as pants, tea, and quite.

I have lived in England for eight months.

I pray for those who will be receiving their YAGM invitations this week.

My family remembers a woman who nursed us when we were sunburned from the Florida sun and helped us discover that the world was bigger than our own experience.

I have no idea what I want to do after YAGM.  (I'm glad somethings haven't changed.)

Profile photo today: A hike around the Peak District during a week long course at Cliff College in Derbyshire.

1 comment:

  1. So crazy that you've been away for 8 months! I'm bummed it didn't work out for us to come visit you this year. :( It will be fun to spend time with you upon your return and hear some more stories.

    ReplyDelete